Thursday, April 17, 2014

It's Your Time to Shine



I’ve heard that knowledge is power and I believe that; not only is knowledge power, but knowledge empowers as well.  Most times when I hear that phrase, it’s usually in part of the movie where the villain seems to have the upper hand is about to enact his or her plan to rule the world; cue the sinister music.

I grew up in Southwest Georgia; never knew how important education was until the last quarter of my senior year. (Yes, I know, I’m dating myself).  With that realization, I knew that I wanted to go to college.  Being from South Georgia and family coming from meager means, I also knew that I had to find a way to afford my education.  Thus enters the Army recruiter from stage right.

I joined the Army and as a part of my contract, I secured the Army College Fund in order to pay for my education.  Although my plans didn’t go the way I envisioned, after 18 years I finally secured a Bachelor’s Degree.  Why did it take so long, well that's a story for another day.

One of my points for today is that, no matter how long it takes, you can still get an education.  I have also realized that because of my education, there were opportunities open to me.  I was able to secure a better job, subsequently making life better for me and my family.

Education is very important to me. I have become an advocate, stressing the importance to children, teenagers, as well as adults.  Although it’s never too late, I went about it the harder way, that being an adult learner,which  means that I worked during the day and went to school at night.  Juggling church, family, work, and school was not easy, but all were extremely important to me.

Higher learning is available to all that desire it.  There are many ways to secure funding to college; of which grants, scholarships, and loans are just the tip of the iceberg.  If there is a will, there most certainly is a way.

With education you can change the landscape of your life, your family, your community, and yes even your nation.  Knowledge is power; make sure that your bulb shines bright, so let your light shine for the entire world to see.

This has been your 80 seconds of encouragement.

Tims2Centz 

No comments:

Post a Comment