Monday, April 21, 2014

Mind Over Emotions



It’s true, we are an emotional being and we tend to express those feelings; sometimes in a very demonstrative manner that is not conducive for the situation.  This type of expression often times does not serve us or our plight well.  Although significant emotional events tend to be remembered, they are remembered for the intense emotional episode, which oft times is not good.  The mouth engages without the brains consent; you never know what vitriol will spew from that spout.

If you are anything like me, you mouth has gotten you into many things that could’ve been avoided.  All it required was thoughtful consideration of what I was about to say.  I’ve said in the past that my father taught me to me to “Think twice, but speak once”.  This is sound wisdom, but I must admit, it has not always been the case; much to my chagrin.

Proverbs is full of illustrations of what a wise person and what an unwise person would do in certain situations.  I’ve resumed reading from Proverbs; a chapter a day – amazing how I can read the entire division in one month.  God said if a man (human) lacks wisdom, let him ask of Him, who gives liberally.  Truly He does honor His word.  The quotes and this blog is a result of a prayer request fulfilled.

Here is a proverb that really helped me with my self-control; Proverbs 25:28 – He that has no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.  Emotions have a tendency to run high and hot.  You know what your temperaments are like.  You should be well acquainted with how much you can take and when enough is enough.  I’ve come to learn I should think through how I should handle intense situations before they happen.  My attempt is to implement those stop-gap measures to where when it happens; although I’m in the midst of an emotionally charged situation, I already have a plan.

Some people are good with intense emotional situations; however that’s not me most times. I had to find what works for me; the same is true for you.  I would rather have peace in my life, so anything that will aid in that endeavor is welcomed, especially in these types of situations.  I’m not saying to run from issues or problems, because whenever you stop running and wherever you are, they are there with you.

There is nothing new under the sun and God has an answer for it all.  Trust in God to give wisdom; use that wisdom to peaceably give an answer to any and all intense situations.  Taking care of them in a godly manner will yield the peaceable fruit that we all want throughout every facet of our lives.

This has been your 80 seconds of encouragement.

Tims2Centz

No comments:

Post a Comment