Wednesday, April 23, 2014

To Love Me



I guess the quintessential things in life are to be accepted and love.  There are so many differences between human beings that we may even seem worlds apart.  Our insatiable desire to be accepted and to fit in sometime overshadows our desire to be accepted for who we are.  We as humans want to relate to others as well as have others relate to us, a sense of being and interacting.

We are social beings longing to interact with others of our kind as well as those that are different from us.  It’s all a part of the human experience; learning and growing together. 

It’s sad though that we are judged because of our differences; categorizing, separating, stereotyping, ostracizing, and even discriminating-sinking lower and lower into a horrible pit.  Martin Luther King Jr. said that “We should be judged on the content of our character not the color of our skin”.  

Being accepted is to say I acknowledge you, I see that you are different, you are relevant, and you are loved just the same.  We all have some quirks; they are the things that make us uniquely who we are.  No one person is the same, not even identical twins.  Looks are one thing, but our own emotional and mental blueprints are one of a kind and special.

In relationships, there is always the opportunity for discovery.  Some things you discover about your friend, partner, or spouse you may not like; you may even detest that trait, habit, or feature, but they come as a package deal.  To separate them from a part of themselves, they would cease to be the unique person that they are.

We are beautifully and wonderfully made; according to God.  In spite of our flaws, mistakes, and shortcomings we are still free to be.  I am not defined by my faults, slip-ups, or limitations; they are tools that have served to shape who I am.  I may not be able to do everything great; I may not be able to do the things you can do well; but I can do what I do and no one can do it uniquely or as well as I can.

I’m not perfect, flawless, or faultless; I’ve accepted that about myself and am alright with it, I’m striving.  I do serve a God who is all of that and He loves me just as I am.  If you love someone, accept who they are; strengths and weaknesses alike.  Life is too short to waste on differences that don’t affect who you are.  Live your best life and let others live their best lives.

This has been your 80 seconds of encouragement.

Tims2Centz

No comments:

Post a Comment