Tuesday, April 22, 2014

We're in this Together



I’m a Soldier in the US Army, serving on what I hope to be my last deployment in Southern Afghanistan.  Being on deployment is tough; couple with doing your job and the inherent dangers of war, you can understand my point.  Deployments are also tough on the family as well; with each member dealing with it in their own unique way.

For my wife and I this deployment is our fourth and I must admit has been the toughest for me.  I realized at about three to four months into it that I never want to be separated from her like this again.

While deployed, I’ve read some very good books on the subject of marriage; “His Needs, Her Needs” by Willard F. Harley, Jr. as well as “Love and Respect” by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs, both of which I highly recommend.  Currently I’m reading “Happy Wives Club” by Fawn Weaver.  Although the title may suggest that it’s written for wives or women, I submit to you that wisdom has no gender; I’m enjoying it; great information – great read.

How can two walk together unless they agree?  The power of agreement is amazing; in an intimate relationship such as husband and wife, it is a difference maker.  There are two individuals, two view points, two ways of reasoning, and both carrying the same amount of importance.  Her interests, views, and way of thinking are just as important as his.  They have the distinct pleasure of doing life together, so agreement is a must.

The mystery of marriage is a wonderful riddle of the two becoming one.  This is where the trust, intimacy, and exclusivity comes in; the two will eventually have to become vulnerable with each other – no mask, no filters, no pretense, just the real individuals.  

 The sacredness and security within the confines of this relationship is requisite for freedom of expression knowing that emotional protection is afforded.  Loving consideration is putting the other person’s needs and comfort before your own; love gives – not receives.   

The mutual benefits of such a relationship not only benefit the couple, but also the home, the community, and yes I believe our nation as well.  Make and allow your marriage to be a light and a beacon of hope for all to see.

This has been your 80 seconds of encouragement.

Tims2Centz

No comments:

Post a Comment